Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Architect

Two of our friends were in the process of a renovation and they recommended an architect to us. We had been in the house for about a year and were eager to get started on the plan. I was very excited to be working with an architect and thought it very posh to have one at all. I began brainstorming on what kind of house I wanted and imagining all of the possibilities.

The day came that we met with the architect. He walked around the house, stroking his beard and examining the place intently. After about 10 minutes I was getting impatient.

"I was really hoping to modernize this place, but still keep its charm. I was thinking about moving the location of the kitchen to the front of the house. Maybe to this room...."

"Yes. Yes. I'm thinking of what would work best" the architect said in a pondering voice.

"Oh, ok. Well I saw these tiles and fell in love with them and ordered them. Do you want to see them? I think that we can use them in the bathroom maybe..."

The architect was startled...and disgusted,"You bought tiles? Why would you do that? Dont buy anything else. Dont make any more suggestions, let me think of how I want my house to be. You have to understand that you cant do anything without my approval"

Ok...

DJ! STOP THE MUSIC!

Now, none of you all know who I am. And maybe some of you would have said the same thing as the architect. But lets make a few things clear now so we dont run into any future problems.

1st. Unless you plan on making monthly contributions to my mortgage, in no way, shape, or form is MY HOUSE yours.

2nd. If I contract you to provide a service for me, and I pay you to provide such service, you will listen to every and all suggestions I make, even if they include painting my a$$ blue. You will at minimum listen. That is part of your job. Service provider...Client...Get it???

3rd. If I am adamant on something that I want to incorporate into or retain in my house, your job, as a professional, is to find a way to do it.

4th. I need a house I can live in, that my dog can live in, that my future children can live in, that we can entertain in. i.e. A house that works for me. When I want a house that looks amazing in print, but non functional in practice, I will go downtown and walk around showrooms.

5th. And most important. The goal of this project is not for you to add to your portfolio and impress your friends and colleagues with. The goal...YOUR JOB is to create a home for me based on my needs.

Can I get an AMEN?


Now if you are not feeling any of the 5 above mentioned points, you can probably stop reading, because we do not see eye to eye and you are going to find me highly irritating.

If those 5 points hit home for you, we are cool and you will enjoy some of the other things I have to say...

2 comments:

Mélanie said...

I think you are going to pass through bad moments . remodeling a house is always a bad and beautiful experience Bad when you are living it , and beautiful when it is all done.
Definetly ,You will need some vacation in the south of france

MAds said...

Yes, this is true! Now I can appreciate my house since the remodel is finished. But it was all the ups and downs that makes it what it is today. Not perfect, but a comfortable work in progress!