Monday, September 24, 2007

Refusal to Pay

I have in this project refused to pay or only partially paid workers for their work. Here are a few photos of how my house looks 6 months post reconstruction. These are just a few photos to show the state of things. In reality there are many more examples. This is, according to the craftsmen, a finished job meeting or exceeding the minimum standards of their craft.

The question I was recently asked was whether I was a demanding customer who expected miracles, or a person who refused to be taken advantage of?


You be the judge




Here you can see how the painter left the living room. There is a line of two different colors and then lots of blotches where it looks like he tried to touch things up. This was the final result after me demanding that he repaint 3 times. The first time the color was not the one I requested. The second came out stripped as he hadn't mixed the colors properly. And this was the third time around. I was so drained by his incompetence I just let it go.

But he wasn't finished demonstrating his craftsmanship...

He also thought it would be fun to paint over the Ardesia and not clean up after himself. And when he was supposed to paint over things (electrical covers) he just couldn't get to it. Probably because he was busy painting over the WRONG THING!


But the following takes the cake...



This so called 'craftsman' didn't bother to use the correct length screws and about two weeks after he called himself done, the door completely fell apart. Fortunately I was standing nearby and was able to catch most of the panes of glass that fell out.

So, lets just take a poll. Which, if any of these things would you have paid for?

MAds

1 comment:

Alexander Rozko said...

Way to stick it to the man. There is fine line between character and flaw. I would say this craftsman attempted to stretch that line to its fullest potential.

I never did ask how you found my blog, just curious? Thanks for recommending your friends blog, I found some inspiring posts.

Hope all is well. Cheers.