Sunday, September 23, 2007

Kitchen-exchange: Did I get this right?

I've just had an amazing experience with California Certified Kitchen Designer Peggy Deras, CKD, CID. I sent her an email with a few pictures of my kitchen for her impression. She went over and beyond her call of duty and gave me play by play feedback. I was blown away by her expertise as she identified immediately that it was a European kitchen without any previous knowledge of the fact. Good Work Peggy! But I suppose that's why she makes the big bucks!

Check out the write-up and my response here:

Kitchen-exchange: Did I get this right?


I also had the pleasure of exchanging a few emails with kitchen designer Laurie Burke. Even if she doesn't critique my kitchen in her blog, I still highly recommend taking a look at her site if you are in the process of or thinking about remodeling your kitchen

Update!!!
She did take the time to add additional info...check it out

Kitchen Design Notes: Kitchen-exchange: Did I get this right?

Thanks a million Laurie!

My bestest friend also comments on how it all started in his blog
Building la pura vida It is an amazing story of building with the utmost respect to nature. My friend is truly one of the few making a difference.

Since I've been getting so much input on kitchens, all the trials and tribulations of getting mine to where it is today will be my next topic of discussion.

PS. Dont forget to check in with the great blog coco+kelley not only to get fun decorating ideas but to also give suggestions for the terrible living room!

5 comments:

User9827892 said...

Mads, your remodeling story is so great. I throughly enjoyed reading about your experience remodeling your kitchen. How long did it take in total?

I profess I thought I was looking at wood tops next to the stainless steel. I am curious about the counter top story. Did the craftsmen suggest using marble or granite tops instead of tile? You said asking for tile was like asking for them to ride a bicycle to the moon. What were they telling you to install instead? Do you see more Italian kitchens with marble counter tops? In the states, so many times I see kitchen renovation magazines showing satiny white marble tops. But they are so not practical for kitchens.
What do most Italians use on their counter tops?

MAds said...

After the walls had dried (SIX WEEKS!!! GEEEZ!) I got started on the kitchen. All of the pipes and electricals were put in the brick walls by the workers where I had planned them and so I walked into a room with wires and pipes sticking out in various places. It took me 2 full weeks of working everyday to assemble, mount and connect appliances/light fixtures/dimmers/etc. Most of the time was spent modifying and squeezing cabinets in...And lets not forget my brilliant idea of creating a hidden washer (Thant sarcasm!). Plus sawing the counter top wood (which is the base of the counters and then they were tiled) My electical saw wasnt large enough so I made a big mess! Good things those were covered!

And let's not go with the word 'craftsman'. As I get the time to explain the whole story you will see what I mean!

Most Italians use marble or granite. Marble is a nightmare (you need yearly treatments, light colors stain, etc), but its still quite common. White marble is cheap here so you see it everywhere. Even public bathrooms!

Granite is also quite common and would have bought it myself if I had been able to find a colour that matched the floor tiles.

Thanks for all your support!!!

User9827892 said...

You are too funny! Craftsmen?! Do tell.
The thing is that it is hard to find your photos. Please post your washer/dryer photogs. easier to find here.

User9827892 said...

You are certainly welcome! The thing is, and what I love about your story, is that "you gotta have a sense of humor", in this whole process of remodeling! Because if you don't and you get too serious, remodeling will drive you insane!

The "craftsmen" all think they are Picasso. You come home one day and think, "what did they do?" Finding quality workers is always challenging. If you have the time and inclination to do a lot of the projects yourself, you are fortunate. For the rest of us, develop a good sense of humor and repeat the following mantra, "this too shall pass".

MAds said...

Ha! Find the time? I did the construction from about 10pm until 4am or 5am! Dont worry I saved the heavy machinery for the weekend or from 8am to 9am before I went to work. Being an insomniac is quite handy! An insomniac with a sense of humour! Gotta love it!