Sunday, September 2, 2007

So it all started...

... in 2003. My husband, my dog and I were all living in a one room studio and desperately searching for a larger place. Desperately searching on a budget that was laughable. Then, one glorious day a phone call came from my Mother-in-Law. A tenant in one of her apartments was requesting to cease the rental agreement and she wanted to know if we were interested in the apartment. We jumped at the call and went that night.

The apartment was....INCREDIBLE! Not because it was new or modern or already in great shape, but because it had character. It was 'hibernating' as I liked to say. Thats to say it was sleeping and waiting to be woken up and restored to its former glory. I fell in love with the place instantly and said yes to the offer.

A month went by before we were able to move in...A very long month.

My mother in law wanted us to reconstruct the place before moving in. We were newlyweds and it was the proper thing to do. To move into a house clean and reconstructed.

I said no.

I had a feeling about this place. I knew that it was special and that I needed to get to know the home before I could modify anything. I also knew that I wanted something extraordinary. At that time, however, I had not the budget nor the faintest idea where to start.

What I had not realized was that the apartment had been a rental property for 30+ years. It was not sleeping...It was in a comma. And it was reacting like muscles in a body. It was weak, atrified and resigned to its fate. We lived with lukewarm water (at its hottest) when it ran, electrical nightmares, random heat (my husband still laughs about me wearing the ski cap in the house), a toilet that didn't flush (those who visited can attest to the ritual involved in getting a flush!) various colors, various ideas and various budgets.

After 3 long years and many false starts, I had finally put together what would be, and what is now 'The Cabella House'

No comments: